Sunday, May 15, 2011

things i like


There are a few things that I'll really miss about Toronto. This post is about the physical city, not any of its specific inhabitants.

1. Air conditioning. Actually, I love the restraint in its use. Nothing is more irritating to me than having to carry around a sweater all summer in the US because every retail outlet, from big box to mom and pop, thinks that it's a good idea for customers to have to see their breath inside because it's hot outside. Aside the environmentally unsound nature of blasting the AC, it's simply irritating. Don't get me wrong - on a super-hot and muggy day, I appreciate a cool space. But the extent to which Americans abuse the AC is actually offensive to me.

2. Kensington Market.


I like Kensington not because of its "weirdness" but because it's in walking distance and I can get an amazing array of fresh produce, dairy, bread, and tortillas several times a week. It's something that I'll miss a lot when I move to Baltimore. I'll especially miss the organic produce shop owned by the guy who often blasts Ethiopiques and other amazing music from the store.

3. Walking/biking/public transit culture. Like when I lived in San Francisco, it's perfectly acceptable, if not perfectly normal, not to have a car. In fact, having a ride somewhere just seems odd. I am hoping to carry that feeling of "it's normal to walk, bike or take the bus/light rail" in Baltimore. There is definitely *something* about the structure of feeling that guides wanting or not wanting a car. Here, I have no desire whatsoever for a car. Of course, this is largely contingent on access to resources. I am praying someone opens an amazing grocery store where the Hampden Food Market used to be.

4. Downward Dog Yoga and Delia Triolo Yoga - I am so blessed to have such amazing practice spaces. While these spaces are called "mysore" classes, they are actually mostly "open" practice spaces that aren't reserved for Ashtanga only. This inspires much controversy in the blog-o-sphere. But I have to say, I have learned so much in the nearly three years I've been practicing in Toronto. I feel like I've built the foundation for a practice that will sustain me for the rest of my life. I am hoping I can replicate that kind of space in Baltimore - one in which I don't have to teach the yoga but also take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that my Baltimore family of yoginis have.

5. Health care. I am a broken record about this. It's *that* important.

No comments:

Post a Comment