Saturday, January 18, 2014

not sure how or what to write

My life has been changing so quickly that I'm not sure how to write in generalities. One (if the many) gifts that I received from the knee injury was the space to reflect. I had no idea how intensely I had been burning the candle at both ends, as the saying goes. I've stopped writing. I keep opening my dissertation proposal, looking at it, feeling sick to my stomach, closing the document, and wondering if I'll ever finish.

Honestly.

I have two weeks left of work on the thing.

Two weeks.

Tops.

Yet I can't seem to hunker down with it.

Of course, my personal life has had its fair share of shakeups in recent months. My head is spinning and concentrating is very very difficult. My personal and physical disruptions have led me to turn to yoga - as I often do - for healing. I've fallen back in love with the Ashtanga tradition. I've had breakthroughs in my personal practice. I've certainly had breakthroughs in my teaching.

I had one of the best teaching experiences at the college level in a long time as well. My groups were rowdy and funny and engaged and curious. They were frustrated by the difficulty of the course. But that's always to be expected (the soft bigotry of low expectations).

In any case, things are changing. All of them. I've no written/public language for it yet. It's all very exhilarating and all very exhausting. There are times that I just want to disappear so that I may gather myself. There does not seem to be any time for that.

Stay tuned.


1 comment: