Saturday, April 17, 2010

The End of An Era, I think

For my non-yoga pals, this post is going to seem kind of dumb. But for those in the know, it's a big "step" (though some might characterize it as a "misstep"). I think I am done with Ashtanga - at least for the foreseeable future. I have struggled with this for almost two years now and it occurs to me that the practice just doesn't serve my body anymore.

Those who knew me as a yoga teacher can attest that I followed the "bible" of Ashtanga. For about seven years, it served me very well. But, my body is in a place where it doesn't work for me anymore. It might be a function of grad school - all the sitting and the stress that I carry in my shoulders. It might be a function of they way it cultivates particular parts of my practice - my abnormal musculature for a gal of my size (really, I'm a powerhouse). But since I've stopped practicing Ashtanga, my yoga teachers, my chiropractor, my shiatsu therapist have independently noted that my body is different in that it is more mobile and free. A softening has occurred.

While this may seem like a "so what" post, this decision has not come without its controversy and some hand wringing on my part. On broader scale, my studio is embroiled in a debate, one that is inscribed on my body - to be or not to be an ashtanga studio, or at least a "traditional" one. For those familiar with the culture, there is a brutality in the taking of sides and I feel like my body is microcosm or a site on which that debate is taking place. I am being pulled aside and asked why I am not practicing traditionally anymore. I am being lured to a gamut of studios promising traditional instruction. I am being asked to confirm my affection for the practice. Yesterday, I decided to practice primary to see how I felt. I stopped at Marichyasana C. I just don't like it anymore. It feels like its doing more harm than good.

That said, by golly I miss it. It is such a wonderful practice. It's a mindset, a meditation. It's a structured subculture. It's beautiful, frankly, a lovely brutality. In a conversation I had yesterday with a practitioner, he said he asked one of the teachers, a follower of the tradition, "when does it stop hurting?" His answer - "Never. It's supposed to hurt. That's how you know you are growing." Yikes.

That said, there are some people for whom the practice is tailor-made for their bodies. People who possess that amazing combination of strength and flexibility who progress in the practice, who move through the series with aplomb, who need no other kind of yoga to cultivate the necessary ingredients for a perfect dropback or a lovely kapotasana (see below).


For me, though, it seems like I am pushing my body in a direction it doesn't have the "softness" to go into these advanced poses. And I don't want to forward fold for the rest of my days, nor do I want to hurt anymore. I want to go into a studio and cultivate a practice that feels right for me, on that day, in that space. But, again, I mourn the loss of this thing that has kept me sane for so many years. Yet yoga, especially ashtanga, is supposed to cultivate adherence to the sutras. I am now really practicing my ahimsa, aparigraha, and santosha. Something about that actually feels pretty freeing.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I waited for you and here you are, in the same place I have been waiting, frozen and alone...you took me there, you guided me, I loved it and I never wanted to leave. I experienced a short bit of time where my limbs were long enough, I could lengthen enough on the inhale to make the next twist properly and I was binding with ease, without grunting, but it was taken from me and I was never able to get it back. It's hard to say, honestly, what I saddened me more: It, or the thing that took It.

    I'm only now starting to practice, again, a promise I made to my pain docs to practice for 30 minutes a day as a substitution for the physical therapy not covered by my insurance. And honestly, I am thrilled when that 30 minutes is over -- I need to cultivate my own practice, make up a few 30 minute routines for myself, because I am over ashtanga, over the rigidity, wishing for something that is more suited to my current spirit.

    You are good. And you will stay sane. And if you figure out how to stay true to the sutras, hold onto it and bring it home with you - I am lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your body and your practice are often a reflection of your life... you are most in need of protecting that heart. Lord knows its seen enough sorrow for one lifetime. You do what you need. We will work on this together when I get back... I promise you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heather i liked reading this. i've been thinking a lot about this recently myself. it's hard when people (especially teachers and studio directors) are attached to either one way or the other -- when obviously both have their benefits but we, as students, seem to get caught in the middle or torn between sides/or studios. i think by 'hurting' that teacher must have meant 'pushing to the limit' ? as a runner must push to the limit to make a time, to keep her time (and that can 'hurt'). something like this? i can't imagine that a teacher thinks that yoga is supposed to hurt. see you soon.

    ReplyDelete