Thursday, March 11, 2010

chris did my bidding for me

Chris and I put in a bid on a house! It's 75k, in Hampden, a bit of a mess but a place where I think we could spend our lives. I had no idea how many X factors were involved in purchasing a home such as where one gets the loan (FHA has a little bit of a harder time), whether one wants inspections, and a bunch of other stuff I was too tired to understand when I heard we put in the bid.

I never thought I would wind up in Baltimore. I ran like crazy from what I thought was the suffocating smallness of it. I now see that smallness as conducive to community building. This is partially because I think the lefties in Baltimore are doing great things. Over the Christmas holiday, I sat down with a friend of mine who now lives in New York and I was telling him about all the great stuff that's happening in our former hometown and he was shocked. He recalled a time where it felt like 10 of us sitting at MICA and talking about Israel and Caterpillar bulldozers (a nod to Rachel Corrie here). Things have changed.

I also recently learned that someone very dear to me is expecting a baby. I really want to be around for these things. I cannot cannot wait for the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment