Monday, March 29, 2010

"I'm always pacing around and walking away"

Yoga is probably the only place where I can concentrate on a task for more than 30 minutes at a time. Mind you, I am not talking about 'reading about yoga' but doing yoga. I've never been very good at reading the philosophy.

I somehow manage to get all of my reading done in school. Granted, they are not the closest reads, but I do it. I don't know how though. Really. I feel like I can scarcely stay still for more than ten minutes at a time. It's a troubling tendency. I do, however, get engrossed in reading about the "horrors" of the modern world. Right now, my current fascination (and horror) is mountaintop removal and factory farming. These texts I can read for long stretches, especially when there are stories of people entangled in them. All this is to say I don't love theory as much as I love description. To take it a step further, I wonder how 'good' a sociologist I am as a result. I have a really hard time sitting on my ass reading this shit and I have to keep reminding myself that I am taking this time to do intense study and then, later, I can reengage in the "world" in a way I find meaningful. It's all I can do, though, not to take off and do the work, learn about the work by doing it rather than reading about it.

More than that, I feel like a total fraud. Who am I to say what's what if I don't get off my ass?

No comments:

Post a Comment